Hydrogeology Services, IDA Strategic Site, Athenry, Co. Galway
The IDA's strategic site at Athenry, Co. Galway is located off the M6 (Dublin-Galway Motorway) within minutes reach of Galway City and Airport.
The 97 hectare (240 acre) IDA owned land bank at Athenry, east of Galway City was selected to accommodate utility intensive type investment such as major Biotech together with office and research based activities.
As part of preliminary works AWN was appointed to provide specialist hydrogeology technical advice and supervision throughout the extensive geophysical and hydrogeological investigations. Key studies include the following:
- Comprehensive desktop study of the hydrogeology environment of the site and surrounding area with reference to Geological Survey of Ireland (GSI) records, maps, databases, reports, plans and schemes.
- Supervision of geophysical survey to identify the depth to bedrock, locate zones of karstification and identify anomalies in the geology of the site.
- Provision of technical advice and onsite supervision of detailed intrusive site investigation. Works included 296 trial pits, 59 shallow boreholes up to 6.7 m bgl and 35 deep boreholes up to 28.8 m bgl with associated soil sampling and leachate testing. Of the boreholes drilled, 77 were installed as groundwater monitoring points.
- Design and supervision of implementation of mitigation measures, including groundwater sampling and gas monitoring from monitoring wells, with associated chemical analysis.
- Provision of detailed hydrogeology interpretative report.
- Provision of Soil, Geology and Hydrogeology Chapters for EIS to accompany planning application.
Hydrogeology Services, IDA Strategic Site, Athenry, Co. Galway (AWN__Hydrogeology_IDA_Site_Athenry.pdf | 292 kB)