Abbott Ireland, Cootehill, Co. Cavan - IPPC Licence Review
Abbott Ireland operates an infant formulae manufacturing facility (Nutritional Division) at Dromore West, Cootehill, Co. Cavan. AWN Consulting was appointed to prepare an IPPC licence review application on behalf of Abbott Ireland Cootehill and liaised with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on an on-going basis throughout the project.
The first step was to complete an audit of the facility and review and update written descriptions and drawings of plant, buildings and equipment. Current operations, operating practices and processes were also reviewed.
The licence review application involved the collection, interpretation and collation of required data and completion of the application form.
A number of specialist environmental studies were completed by AWN in support of the licence review application including:
- Assimilative capacity study to assess capacity of the Dromore River to receive treated wastewater effluent;
- Assessment of options for wastewater discharge to optimise dispersion in the receiving waterbody;
- Assessment of impacts of proposed increase in surface water abstraction rate on lake levels and eco-systems;
- Air dispersion modelling of stack emissions and air quality assessment;
- Predictive noise impact assessment of plant upgrades.
AWN liaised with appropriate bodies, including Inland Fisheries Ireland throughout the application process. Notifications were sent to all relevant local and statutory authorities.
The application was submitted in May 2011.